What about a student visa in Spain?

A student visa is a temporary residence authorization which allows non-European citizens to reside in Spain during their studies in either public or private centres of educational, to conduct research in the country, or realize some kind of training.

Those willing to enlist in any professional training course, masters, postgraduate course, Ph.D. or a bachelor’s degree in Spain, will find that a student visa permit is correct for them.

It is important to understand that this visa is set-up for non-EU citizens who are citizens from outside of the European Union.

It should also be remembered that this is not a regular residence permit.
The student visa only provides authorization to live in Spain while studies are being carried out.

It should also be remembered that only 50% of any student visa-stay can be counted in any residence permit application in Spain.

There are two types of student visas:
Short-term student visa, permits a stay of between 91 – 180 days in the country.
Long-term student visa, permits a stay of up to or more than 6 months in the country.

Do I need a student visa to study in Spain?
•If you are a non-EU citizen, then the answer is: YES, you will need one.
•If you are from EU, EEA or Switzerland you can stay in Spain while you study without a visa, as confirmed in the article 44 of the Royal Decree 557/2011. This also applies to the relatives you bring with you in a joint application.

Something to remember here however, is that whichever nationality you are, should your study course take less than 90 days to complete, you do not need to apply for a student visa, because a normal tourist visa will only be enough of up to 90 days.

Are you considering studying in Spain?

Our services can guide your application to obtain authorisation to study in Spain.

Scroll to Top