UK and Spain Forge Bilateral Agreement to Facilitate Unhindered University Access and Higher Education

A significant milestone has been achieved as the United Kingdom and Spain recently signed a bilateral agreement focusing on education collaboration and unhindered access to universities and higher education institutions. This momentous occasion was made possible through the close partnership between Spain’s Ministry of Education and Vocational Training, Ministry of Universities, and the UK Department for Education and Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.

The agreement, signed by the British Ambassador to Spain, Hugh Elliott, alongside the Spanish Minister of Education and Vocational Training, Pilar Alegría, and the Spanish Minister of Universities, Joan Subirats, will come into effect on 2nd August 2023. This bilateral collaboration sets the stage for a harmonious relationship in education between the two nations.

A key highlight of the agreement is its provision to allow students holding UK qualifications, including A-levels and equivalent certifications, to gain access to Spanish universities without the necessity of undertaking the Spanish general university entrance exam. However, certain competitive programs may still require additional entry requirements, maintaining the practice that was in place prior to the UK’s departure from the European Union.

Furthermore, students originating from the Spanish education system will continue to have the assurance of accessing UK universities and other esteemed higher education institutions, ensuring the continuity of their academic pursuits.

This landmark agreement not only facilitates seamless student mobility but also serves as a catalyst for enhanced cooperation between the UK and Spain in the realm of education. It symbolizes the commitment to strengthening existing educational ties and marks a significant step towards building a robust bilateral relationship.

The UK team expresses sincere gratitude for the support and collaboration extended by their Spanish counterparts throughout the negotiation process, emphasizing the eagerness to further expand the dynamic UK-Spain bilateral partnership in the future.

Do you require a Spanish higher education visa?

We will prepare with you the required documentation, complete the application forms, arrange the required appointments and legally advise.

Permanent residency is obtained after 5 years of Spanish Residency through Self-Empoyed Residency or Non-Lucrative Residency or Residency through Investment. This followed by 5 years as a permanent resident and means you can then obtain Spanish Citizenship with a Spanish Passport.

Back to Residency Blog »

Scroll to Top