For the renewal Long-Term residence card in Spain, which is a document that is granted to people who have been living in Spain legally and continuously for at least 5 years. With this authorization, you have a permanent residence permit and can work and live in Spain without any restrictions.
This permanent authorization has a validity of 5 years and once it expires, as with any other card, it must be renewed.
In this post we cover the following: (click any section to see its content)
How to renew a Long-Term residence card in Spain?
- WHEN DO I HAVE TO RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD »
- WHAT DOCUMENTATION DO I NEED TO RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD »
- DO I HAVE TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT TO RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD »
- CAN I RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD IN ANY CITY »
- ALL TYPES OF RESIDENCY AVAILABLE IN SPAIN »
- SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A SOLICITOR »
WHEN DO I HAVE TO RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD:
As with any residence card or authorization, its permission must be renewed once it has expired to be able to continue legally in Spain with the correct documentation.
In this case, the renewal of the Long-Term Residence must be done directly with the fingerprint procedure and the request for the issuance of the new card, which will again have a validity for another 5 years.
In this case, we must start the renewal procedure once the Long-Term Residence Card has expired, since the competent Police Station will not be able to issue a new card if we have a valid card at that time.
Unlike what happens with other cards or authorizations, in which we can start the procedure before the expiration of the same, one of the characteristics of the renewal of the Long-Term Residence Card is that, in order to renew it, it must already be expired.
For renewal, it is not necessary to carry out any prior administrative procedure at the Immigration Office, since the entire renewal process of the Long-Term Residence is done at the competent Police Station. In short, what we really renew is our plastic card, not our residence authorization, which is already of a permanent nature.
WHAT DOCUMENTATION DO I NEED TO RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD:
To renew this card, you must present the following documentation:
- Application form
- Complete copy and original of your valid passport
- Copy and original of your expired Long-Term Residence Card
- Recent color photograph of the applicant’s face, 32 x 26 millimeters in size, with a uniform, white and smooth background, taken from the front with the head completely uncovered and without dark sunglasses or any other garment that could prevent or hinder the identification of the person. (The photograph must clearly show the oval of the face, which includes eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth and chin, and must be of high resolution and on good quality photographic paper).
- Certificate or registration form from the City Council where the applicant has their home address, issued with a maximum advance of three months from the date of the application for the National Identity Document. The Certificate or Registration Form will only be required if we have changed our address during the validity of our card.
DO I HAVE TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT TO RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD:
Yes, this is a requirement, most Police Stations have enabled an appointment system to be able to carry out this procedure for renewing the Long-Term Residence Card. Therefore, once your card is nearing expiration, you will need to book your appointment.
CAN I RENEW MY LONG-TERM RESIDENCE CARD IN ANY CITY:
No, this is not possible. It is important that you book your appointment at the Police Station where you have your home address, as this Police Station is the competent one to renew your card.
These appointments can sometimes be quite difficult to get an appointment, and many of you ask us if you can do the procedure in another city. The answer is NO.
You should not book an appointment in a city other than the one in which you are registered. You can book the appointment and travel, but you will not be attended and you will not be able to renew your card at a police station other than your city.
ALL TYPES OF RESIDENCY AVAILABLE IN SPAIN:
- Golden-Visa Spain (Spain citizenship by investment)
- Non-Lucrative visa Spain (Spain visa non lucrative)
- Self-Employed visa Spain (self employed expats in Spain)
- Digital-Nomad visa Spain (remote worker in Spain)
DO YOU REQUIRE RENEWAL OF YOUR RESIDENCE CARD IN SPAIN?
Do you need legal assistance in Spain?
We are a Spanish Solicitor and assist our clients with all types of residency applications.
Permanent residency is obtained after 5 years of Spanish Residency through Self-Employed Residency, Digital-Nomad, Non-Lucrative Residency or Golden-Visa. This followed by 5 years as a permanent resident in Spain and means you can then obtain Spanish Citizenship with a Spanish Passport.