Is it possible to obtain spanish nationality through having family of origin?
Here we will show you how to obtain Spanish Nationality through your Great-Grandparents and family of origin.
In this post we cover the following: (click any section to see its content)
- CHILDREN OF SPANISH NATIONALS »
- PARENTS OF A SPANISH NATIONAL CHILD »
- GRANDCHILDREN OF SPANISH NATIONALS »
- GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN OF SPANISH NATIONALS »
- TYPES OF RESIDENCY AVAILABLE IN SPAIN »
CHILDREN OF SPANISH NATIONALS:
There are several ways to obtain Spanish nationality for children of Spanish nationals and would be possible for any one of the following:
- Those born to a Spanish Father or Mother
- Those born in Spain when they are children of foreign parents if at least one of the parents was born in Spain (children of Diplomats are excepted).
- Those born in Spain to foreign parents, if both lack Nationality (Stateless Persons), or if the Legislation of neither of them attributes a Nationality to the child. In this case, a File can be made in the Civil Registry of your domicile to declare Spanish Nationality with the value of simple presumption.
- Children born in Spain whose parents’ identity is unknown. Minors whose first known place of stay is Spanish territory are presumed to be born in Spain.
- Minors under 18 years of age who are adopted by a Spaniard are also Spaniards of Origin. If the Adoptee is over 18 years of age, he or she may opt for the Spanish Nationality of origin within a period of two years from the constitution of the Adoption.
For each of them, a series of requirements must be met, and we find ourselves in very specific cases that allow us to begin the process of applying for Spanish nationality and thus obtain the desired DNI.
RETURN TO MENU »
PARENTS OF A SPANISH NATIONAL CHILD:
Parents of a child who is a Spanish national must begin their procedure for Spanish nationality by obtaining residence, complying with the deadlines required depending on their nationality of origin (10 years general rule; 5 years for refugees; 2 years for nationals of Ibero-American countries): Andorra, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal or Sephardic, and one year for those who fall into any of the cases contemplated in the Civil Code).
RETURN TO MENU »
GRANDCHILDREN OF SPANISH NATIONALS:
Grandsons and granddaughters of Spanish women of origin, born in Spain and married to a non-Spanish person before the entry into force of the Spanish Constitution of 1978. and would be possible for any one of the following:
- Children of those who obtained nationality of origin through Law 52/2007 who could not become Spanish when the Law came into force because they were not of legal age.
- Grandchildren of Spanish emigrants who obtained the nationality of the host country and lost Spanish nationality before their child was born.
- Grandchildren of Spanish nationals who, having held nationality, have lost it for not ratifying their desire to retain it upon reaching the age of majority.
GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN OF SPANISH NATIONALS:
Nationality is normally obtainable through Spanish family members, up until the grandparents being Spanish, however if we can prove that the grandfather / grandmother was also actually Spanish, it may be possible to obtain through your great-grandparents. That is, if we can prove that at the time of the birth of your grandfather, his father or mother (your great-grandparents) had not lost or renounced their Spanish nationality, this will prove that your grandfather was originally Spanish even if he did not hold the Spanish nationality and even if he was born in another country. Even though however, if your great-grandfather was originally from Spain, we must prove that your grandfather, as an expatriate, and was born in another country, was of Spanish origin and to do this we need to prove that your great grandparent was still a Spanish citizen when your grandparent was born.
RETURN TO MENU »
TYPES OF RESIDENCY AVAILABLE IN SPAIN:
- Golden-Visa Spain (Spain citizenship by investment)
- Non-Lucrative visa Spain (Spain visa non lucrative)
- Self-Employed visa Spain (self employed expats in Spain)
- Digital-Nomad visa Spain (remote worker in Spain)
OBTAIN NATIONALITY THROUGH FAMILY OF ORIGIN.
Do you need legal assistance to obtain nationality in Spain through family of origin?
We are a Spanish Solicitor and assist our clients with all types of residency applications.
Permanent residency is obtained after 5 years of Spanish Residency through Self-Employed Residency, Digital-Nomad, Non-Lucrative Residency or Golden-Visa. This followed by 5 years as a permanent resident in Spain and means you can then obtain Spanish Citizenship with a Spanish Passport.