Is it possible to change your residency type after it has been issued?

What happens if you obtain residency in Spain, i.e. Non-Lucrative residency and you want to change the residency type for something which will allow you to work in Spain, like a Self-Employed residency?

If these are your circumstances and you want to change your residency type, then we have good news for you, yes this is possible.

After having held your residency for a minimum of 12-months and having complied with the conditions for the same, there is the opportunity to request a modification of the type of residency you are issued with.
Please be aware that for Student-Visas this is a minimum of 3-years.

This process is technical and if not carried out correctly, it can be refused and may withdraw your residency all-together. With this in mind, we recommend that you obtain legal assistance with this application.

Would you like us to change your residency type in Spain?
Please send us a message below and we will legally advise on how you can proceed.

Permanent residency is obtained after 5 years of Spanish Residency through Self-Empoyed Residency or Non-Lucrative Residency or Residency through Investment. This followed by 5 years as a permanent resident and means you can then obtain Spanish Citizenship with a Spanish Passport.

Back to Residency Blog »

Scroll to Top