The Spanish goverment has imposed an extension of validity for expired residency cards and visas due to the situation with COVID-19.
A Royal Decree has been published today to extend the validity of National Identity Documents which have expired during the current state of alarm, and extends to residents of legal age.
Which residence permits can be renewed within these periods:
- Renewals for Investor-Residency
- Renewals for Self-Empoyed Residency
- Renewals for Non-Lucrative Residency
- Renewals of authorization for Family-Reunification
- Renewals for Long-term residence permits
- Renewals for EU long-term residence permit
SpainResidency normally recommends that you submit your renewal within sixty days prior to the expiration of your card.
Although while this is recomended, it is possible to make the renewal of the card within ninety days after its expiration, although the Immigration Office could fine you.
Permanent residency is obtained after 5 years of Spanish Residency through Self-Empoyed Residency or Non-Lucrative Residency or Residency through Investment. This followed by 5 years as a permanent resident and means you can then obtain Spanish Citizenship with a Spanish Passport.