If you work remotely, Spain might be a top choice due to its high quality of life, scenery, and favourable costs among its alternative European countries, here we explain everything you need to know about being a Digital Nomad in Spain, so you can explore the Digital Nomad Visa Spain which allows you to establish residency in Spain and work remotely.
In this post we cover the following: (click any section to see its content)
Everything you need to know about being a digital nomad in Spain.
- WHAT IS THE DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN SPAIN »
- REQUIREMENTS FOR DIGITAL NOMAD VISA SPAIN »
- PROCESS TO OBTAIN DIGITAL NOMAD VISA SPAIN »
- DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN SPAIN VERSUS RESIDENCY VISA »
- RESIDENCY THROUGH BEING A DIGITAL NOMAD IN SPAIN »
- KEY ASPECTS OF THE DIGITAL NOMAD LAW IN SPAIN »
- COMPARISON WITH EUROPEAN DIGITAL NOMAD VISAS »
- FAQS ABOUT DIGITAL NOMAD VISA SPAIN – RESIDENCY »
- ALL TYPES OF RESIDENCY AVAILABLE IN SPAIN »
- SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A SOLICITOR »
WHAT IS THE DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN SPAIN:
The digital Nomad visa is a residence permit enabling Non-EU citizens to reside and to work in Spain while conducting remote or digital professional activities.
A key point is that the employer or client must not be located in Spain. Approved with the recent Startup Law (2022), which grants international teleworking residency for up to 5 years to Non-EU citizens.
Time spent in Spain as a Digital Nomad Visa will contribute towards a potential Spanish residency or permanent residency application provided its requirements are met.
REQUIREMENTS FOR DIGITAL NOMAD VISA SPAIN:
General requirements per the Digital Nomad Law in Spain include
- No criminal record, providing the corresponding certificate.
- Be a qualified professional with a degree or postgraduate qualifications from recognized universities, vocational training, or business schools, or demostrate a minimum of 3 years of professional experience.
- Demonstrate a remote work relationship with a company outside Spain or be an independent freelancer, with a maximum of 20% of income from Spanish sources.
- Documented work relationship of at least one year for companies, or three months for clients, with evidence of remote work.
- Demonstrate a minimum monthly income of €2,160.
- Contracted private health insurance for each visa applicant.
PROCESS TO OBTAIN DIGITAL NOMAD VISA SPAIN:
Apply at the Spanish Consulate in your country or from within Spain with a tourist visa for a direct 3-year visa. The competent unit is the Ministry of Migrations, specifically the Large Companies Unit (UGE). Submit the application personally, including necessary documents such as the application form, recent passport photo, passport copies, temporary NIE (Foreigner Identification Number) application, and proof of professional relationship and income.
DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN SPAIN VERSUS RESIDENCY VISA:
The Digital Nomad Visa Spain caters to the needs of remote workers and digital nomads, distinguishing itself from tourist visas and non-lucrative residence visas that do not permit work or economic activities. Unlike work visas, it offers more flexibility without requiring employer sponsorship.
RESIDENCY THROUGH BEING A DIGITAL NOMAD IN SPAIN:
Initially issued for one year, the Digital Nomad Visa Spain can be extended for up to three years, leading to permanent residency. Notably, it grants access to a special tax regime, allowing a 24% tax rate on income for the first 6 months with the Tax Agency.
KEY ASPECTS OF THE DIGITAL NOMAD LAW IN SPAIN:
The law was revised in 2022 to accommodate changes in the market, acknowledging freelancers and remote work. The Visa for Digital Nomads in Spain is designed to provide residency to Non-EU citizens working remotely for foreign companies or clients. It defines a digital nomad as a worker capable of remote work, combining high-skilled work with immersive tourism.
COMPARISON WITH EUROPEAN DIGITAL NOMAD VISAS:
Spain, a latecomer to the Digital Nomad Visa trend in Europe, is more affordable than other countries in terms of minimum required income (€2,160 per month). The initial period is one year, extendable up to 5, allowing access to permanent residency.
FAQS ABOUT DIGITAL NOMAD VISA SPAIN – RESIDENCY:
- What is the application process for the digital nomad visa in Spain?
The application is processed at the Spanish Consulate in the jurisdiction where you currently reside abroad. It’s mandatory to submit the application in person, including all original documentation translated into Spanish.
- What rights and benefits does digital nomad residency in spain offer?
Time spent with the digital nomad visa counts towards future permanent residency. Additionally, you enjoy a significantly lower tax rate on your income during the first 5 years of the visa. You can also reunite with your immediate family when applying for this visa.
- How does the digital nomad visa differ from other residence visas in Spain?
The primary difference is that the digital nomad visa is the only one enabling legitimate remote work for companies or clients outside Spanish territory while residing in Spain.
- How does the digital nomad law in Spain compare to that of other European countries?
The Digital Nomad Visa in Spain is more affordable in terms of minimum required income. The initial period is one year, compared to other visas limited to 6 months, extendable up to a maximum of 5 years, allowing access to permanent residency.
ALL TYPES OF RESIDENCY AVAILABLE IN SPAIN:
- Golden-Visa Spain (Spain citizenship by investment)
- Non-Lucrative visa Spain (Spain visa non lucrative)
- Self-Employed visa Spain (self employed expats in Spain)
- Digital-Nomad visa Spain (remote worker in Spain)
Remember that immigration procedures and immigration regulations change regularly, so it’s crucial to stay updated with the latest information from reliable sources. If you have specific questions or concerns about your situation, it’s advisable to consult with immigration authorities or legal professionals specializing in immigration matters, please click-here » to do this.
DO YOU REQUIRE ASSISTANCE TO APPLY FOR A DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN SPAIN?
We are a Spanish Solicitor and assist our clients with all types Spanish legal processes.
Permanent residency is obtained after 5 years of Spanish Residency through Self-Employed Residency, Digital-Nomad, Non-Lucrative Residency or Golden-Visa. This followed by 5 years as a permanent resident in Spain and means you can then obtain Spanish Citizenship with a Spanish Passport.