Businessman holding riped wheat plant

How to obtain a Business Residency in Spain?

How is it possible have permission to do business in Spain and the rest of the EU?

If you are looking do business in Spain and in Europe, there are two types of permissions which will interest you:

  • The First Option is equivalent to the visitor’s visa of 90 days which will allow you to visit Spain and the Schengen countries for a maximum of 90 days. To obtain this, the first step is to get an appointment at your local Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence before you travel to Spain.
    At this appointment you will be requested to complete an application form, conduct an interview and pay the corresponding fee which ranges from 35€ to 80€ depending on the country you live in.
    You will be requested:

    • Bank statement which demonstrates funds to sustain you in Spain, 95€ per day
    • Hotel or apartment reservation for the days you will be in the Spanish territory
    • Invitation from the Spanish company with which you will meet, or training/event/conference ticket
    • Original passport and two photos
    • Round trip plane tickets
    • Travel health insurance

You cannot work with this type of visa but yes, you can however complete unpaid business activities or even activities which are paid by your employer in your country of origin.

  • The Second Option is the Self-Employed business residency.

If you are planning to live in Spain, start up a business then this will be the option for you. If you have a business idea with the plan to open in Spain then the Self-Employed business will allow you to do this. Maybe it’s a coffee shop or to work online and offer your services.
This residency will permit you a 1 year temporary residency permit which is then renewed for 2 years and then again for a further 2 years, then 5 years after that.
How can you start the application?

  • The main requirement for the self-employed work and residence permit application is to have financial resources to set-up and maintain yourself for the first months. The recommended amount to be lodged in an account under the applicant’s name will depend on the kind of activity, some activities require smaller amounts.
  • That you have clean medical and police records.
  • That you have a business plan and have taken the first steps to start the business (rented premises, contacted suppliers, etc. as well as having got the right documentation to apply for the required administrative local licenses).
  • That you set up a corporate structure. One option for this can be a limited liability company in Spain however there are other options.

*All these documents need to be translated into Spanish by a sworn translator and submitted to the Spanish consulate. They will then be processed and your application and if successful you will be given a Self-Employed work and residency permit.

Regarding the timeframe, you should allow between 4 and 6 months for the whole process. This entirely depends on how busy the authorities are at the time of application and how quick you are able to provide with your business project details and lodge the finds in the Spanish Bank account.

Do you want to start an application for Self-Employed residency in Spain?

We will prepare the required documentation, complete the application forms, arrange the required appointments and legally advise.

Permanent residency is obtained after 5 years of Spanish Residency through Self-Empoyed Residency or Non-Lucrative Residency or Residency through Investment. This followed by 5 years as a permanent resident and means you can then obtain Spanish Citizenship with a Spanish Passport.

Back to Residency Blog »

Scroll to Top